Tax season is stressful for everyone, but it’s especially stressful for those who are busy struggling to make ends meet.
To help ease that stress, local organizations are making free tax assistance available to Centre County residents.
Starting this Wednesday, Feb. 1, through the sponsorship of the county commissioners of Centre County/Retired and Senior Volunteer Program and Penn State University/Cooperative Extension, the IRS’ Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program will offer free tax assistance to low to moderate income (generally, $50,000 a year or lower) individuals or families.
All sites will have the ability to file returns electronically. Additionally, the Penn State site offers educational resources and information on managing money.
The locations, scheduled start dates and appointment phone numbers are as follows:
• Penn State/Cooperative Extension, Ferguson Building, Room 10, University Park. Assistance opens Feb. 1. Call 863-7448 from 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday for appointments. The building is closed from March 3-10.
• Church of the Good Shepherd, 402 Willowbank St., Bellefonte. Assistance opens Feb. 2. Call 355-6816 for appointment from 3- 9 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays; and 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturdays.
• Millheim Outreach Center, 103 Mill St., Millheim. Assistance opens Feb. 2. Call 349-5850 for appointment from 10 a.m.- 3 p.m. Thursdays.
• Schlow Centre Region Library, 211 S. Allen St., State College. Assistance opens Feb. 6. Call 355-6816 for appointment from noon- 4 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays; and 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Fridays.
• Holt Library, 17 N. Front St., Philipsburg. Assistance opens Feb. 7 Call 355-6816 for appointment from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Tuesdays.
You must bring with you: proof of identification, Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents, birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents, income documents, including Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers, interest and dividend statements (Forms 1099), a copy of last year’s federal and state returns (if available), and bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit; and to file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
The IRS certified volunteers are not authorized to assist individuals with rental properties, farms, business with an inventory or overall loss for the tax year, or individuals claiming moving expenses.